Re: apt: HTTP transfer method does not use available bandwidth

olly@lfix.co.uk (Oliver Elphick)  wrote on 27.04.98 in <[🔎] 199804270039.BAA05276@linda.lfix.co.uk>:

> 		unix.hensa.ac.uk		sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk
> wget http:	1.97KB/s			1.90KB/s
> wget ftp:	5.19KB/s			5.42KB/s
> ftp:  		4.2 Kbytes/sec			4 Kbytes/sec

> Should running squid locally make a difference?  (I shut it down, but it
> doesn't
> seem to have changed anything.)  My ISP has a proxy-server, but you have to
> configure Netscape to use it, so presumably it is not transparent.

If shutting down squid doesn't make a difference, this makes me suspect
you weren't using it. Otherwise, you'd need to reconfigure to get
_anything_ working.

If you were using it, it should speed up repeated gets of the same URL.

Anyway, do a netstat --ip in another console/window while you're
downloading, to see what connection you are using; fuser <yourport>/tcp
can show you the process id of the process holding your end of the
connection.

> Is there anything about the HTTP protocol which makes a difference if you
> are using
> a lower bandwidth?  For example, if I cannot accept stuff at the rate at
> which the other end can push it out, will the other end reduce its attempted
> output rate?

Both ftp and http do the main data transfer the same way, just pushing a
large block of data through a tcp connection.

And if different programs show the same effect, it's probably not the
programs.

It could be that your ISP penalizes http connections that *don't* use his
proxy. From westfalen.de, I happen to know that http connections make for
the largest part of the bandwidth by far, so much that there are ISPs that
outright block any http not through their cache.

There's one more thing you can do. Run tcpdump -i <interface> on your
connection and look at the packets, and see if there's anything different
between ftp and http you can spot.

> What packages are involved that might need investigating?

I suspect it's your ISP, not any package. Or otherwise, it could be the
kernel. Hardly anything else.

MfG Kai