locales default setup for first installs

Some time ago it was suggested (here or at boot-floppies@packages, I
can't remember) that the installation system should create a LANG=<locale>
line in /etc/profile, /etc/environment or any other file alike, that
would define the default locale for the system, and may be overruled in
the users' ~/.<whatever-your-shell-uses>.

I would like to implement that for hamm's boot-floppies, as that would
make Debian the first Linux distribution that supports Latin1 "out of
the box".

The question is, where should I put that line?

/etc/profile : Not every shell uses it. (And I'm not sure that setting
 root's locale to anything other than C won't cause problems with daemons,
 cron scripts and anything else that runs automatically).
/etc/environment : Which program/s use that? (same concerns about root's
 locale).
/etc/skel/.<whatever> That may be tricky, as it may mean other packages
 should be aware of that line, and don't overwrite it.

Suggestions?

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es