Re: policy suggestion (seeking discussion)

On Sun, Apr 26, 1998 at 01:23:06PM -0400, Carl Mummert wrote:
> Don't flame me for this if it is obviously wrong..
> it doesn't SEEM so to me...
>
> Question:   when does dpkg write the /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list ???
>
> Situation:  Package X has something in the post-inst script which
>             the developer knows will create file F, which dpkg will
>             not know about (known problem).
>
> Suggestion: Package X could, if the files already exist at this point,
>             include 'cat "F" >> /var/lib/dpkg/info/X.list ' in the
>             post-inst list.  This would associate the newly-created file
>             with the newly-installed package, and would prevent the
>             buildup of cruft which otherwise would develop when package
>             X is removed.
>
>             The postinst script is the perfect time to do this, because
>             this script knows with 100% certainty which files it creates.
>
> Example file: /etc/gpm/conf is created by an "echo" command in the
>              post-int of gpm.
>

> I have tried this by adding (by hand) a new package to (...)/status and
> a corresponding lists file to the info dir.  When I ran dpkg --remove
> on the package, the files listed went away.
>
> Caveat: I don't fully understand how this fits in with the 'conffiles'
>         issue.

I'm not a dpkg expert, but AFAIK modifying directly the dpkg databases (yes,
almost everything under var/lib/dpkg are dpkg databases) is a Wrong Thing (TM)
In the current implementation those databases are ASCII files, but that
may change (and surely _will_ change) in the future, so relying in that
format will cause compatibility problems. The right way to solve that issue
is by adding an(other) option to dpkg.

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es