Re: Licensing, was elvis package

<spotter@kby.netmedia.net.il> said:

> >> My main point was this: if the GPL has this clause about the
> >> components of a program being free, what with the large quantity
> >> of programs being Qtized, why haven't we seen any action?
>
> Shaya> Probably because it's allowed, doesn't the FSF distribute
> Shaya> emacs linked or with the ability to link out of the box
> Shaya> against Motif?
>
>Motif (and other 'normally distributed' libraries) on a system are an
>exception to this rule else no glped program could be linked on a
>system that uses it's standard libc (not gpled of course).  Motif is
>considered a standard part of many Unix installations, so linking with
>Motif in that case is perfectly OK. (though of dubious legality on a
>Linux installation actually (since Linux does not distribute Motif as
>a standard part of the OS)).

What defines a standard linux installation.  Each dist. in reality is it's
own OS.  Red Hat ships Motif, would it be legal for them to distribute a
GPL'd program linked with Motif, and not for debian?

Essentially, I think that this part of the GPL is very vauge, and when comes
down to real legal terms is on the shaky side.

As an aside, I am beggining to think that we need a better license, from a
legal perspective, because with all the issues of shared libraries,
"essential parts", and who knows what else, if someone would really try to
challange the GPL in a court, I don't know if it would stand up.

Shaya