bash prompt strings again (was Re: base-files etc.)

On Sun, Apr 26, 1998 at 03:34:01PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 26, 1998 at 02:46:58PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > > Ok, trying to be "conservative", I have changed the default prompt for
> > > root from '\u@\h:\w\$ ' to '\h:\w\$ ' in base-files_1.9.
> > >
> > > I would really like to see something like '\h:\w\$ ' (or '\w\$ ' at
> > > least) in /etc/skel/.bashrc. Would it be against policy?
> >
> > Why not /etc/profile?  Or is that against policy?
>
> /etc/profile is read by many different shells, almost any of which
> understand bash escapes, while .bash_profile is only read by bash.

Right, but almost every distribution compares $SHELL to /bin/bash.  It's not
great, but it works.  (Actually, [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" ] would be most
reliable.)

Do we have a policy about this?  There is something about not requiring
environment variables, I know.  Maybe the "right thing to do" is modify bash
itself to _default_ to the right prompt.  bash$ is just useless, after all.

Have fun,

Avery