Re: Licensing, was elvis package

> >My main point was this:  if the GPL has this clause about the
> >components of a program being free, what with the large quantity of
> >programs being Qtized, why haven't we seen any action?
>
> Probably because it's allowed, doesn't the FSF distribute emacs linked or
> with the ability to link out of the box against Motif?
>
> Shaya

Hi.

Linking with Motif of GPL'd software only allowed on operating systems which
get shipped with Motif as an essential part of it (like Solaris). Which means
that linking with Motif on Linux is not allowed. (I asked RMS directly
about that and received the above response). This leads to some kind of
discrimination, IMHO, which prefered to be ignored by our DFSG zealots.

Thanks.

Alex Y.
--
   _