Adding files to dpkg AND cruft (was Re: consistency check)

Fabien Ninoles wrote:
> That's the reason why I would like to see a
>
> dpkg --{remove,add}-files [--package <package>] <files...>
>
> option to dpkg. I think it's simple to implement <just add/remove entry
> to the package .list file> and can ease the task for securing local files
> <by let it provides a "local" default package> from dpkg in addition
> to help checking the system.

Before I being... don't trust a word I say. Any command listed below may
cause strange things to happen. Use at your own risk.

1) Try :

  echo "filename" >> /var/lib/dpkg/info/package_name.list

to add filename to a package_name

2) Try adding something like this to /var/lib/dpkg/status :

 Package: local-files
 Section: base
 Version: 1.0-0.0

and adding /var/lib/dpkg/info/local-files.list w/ filenames.  Note that it
is required/base so that you won't accidentally remove it :-)  THe version
number is required by dpkg.

I have verifed that I can add the above to the status file, and

  rn120056 /var/lib/dpkg # dpkg --list local-files ; echo
  Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
  |Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
  |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:uppercase=bad)
  ||/ Name            Version        Description
  +++-===============-==============-================================== ...
  ii  local-files     1.0-0.0

  rn120056 /var/lib/dpkg #

And when I add

  /System.map

to /var/lib/dpkg/local-files.list, cruft no longer complains about it.

3) Of course, you can also add things to

  /etc/cruft/explain

This directory holds shell scripts which oupt filenames.  Any filenames
so listed will not be listed as unaccounted-for inthe cruft output.

For example, /etc/cruft/explain/local-files.sh

  #!/bin/bash
  find /var/www
  find /home
  find /usr/local

chmod the file to 755 and cruft will 'ignore' the dirs listed

See my other message also...

Carl
--
--mummert@cs.wcu.edu-----------