Re: weird utmp/perl problem

On 25 Apr 1998 11:47:34 -0700, Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> said:

> I don't understand how this would work.  How do you get the canonical
> ttyname from /dev/tty ?

Sorry, you're right of course, that didn't make sense.

I've looked at the way libc5's getlogin() works and it uses the first of
stdin, stdout and stderr which is hooked up to a tty.  If none of them
is then it returns NULL.  libc6 only checks stdin.

dgux (the only other OS I have easy access to) works even if none of
those is hooked up to a tty (or if they're hooked up to a different
tty), and it still correctly detects if you don't have a utmp slot.  (I
tested this by using screen to log a tty in and out.)  I don't know how
it's doing that.  The equivalent of lsof shows the process doesn't have
any stray fds open on they tty.  There's no local equivalent of strace
unfortunately.

--
Roderick Schertler
roderick@argon.org