Re: Intent to package: mlddc

On Fri, Apr 24, 1998 at 04:03:58PM -0700, vanco@sonic.net wrote:

> Monolith Internet Services offers a public dynamic dns service -- I think
> it would be nice to offer a working, tried framework for
> auto-initialization of such a  doodad.

Sorry to disappoint you, but...

$ dpkg -s mlddc
Package: mlddc
 mlddc is a client for the Monolith ( http://www.ml.org )
 dynamic DNS ( DYNDNS, http://www.ml.org/dyndns/ ) service.
 It updates the ML database and nameservers with the current IP.

It is already packaged by John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> in March.  :-)

> 	There is only one problem that I have not found an answer to -- MLDDC
> must revoke its DNS entries (via the NIC) BEFORE pppd dies. This cannot be
> accomplished by placing a script in /etc/ip-up.d -- this requires
> moditying /usr/bin/poff to revoke the records before pppd is killed.
> 	If I am not to be allowed to do that, I call for the addition of a
> "run-parts /etc/ppp/before-ppp-start.d" into /usr/bin/pon and "run-parts
> /etc/ppp/before-ppp-shutdown.d" before the respective operations that are
> performed in the scripts. That is, if run-parts runs its scripts in the
> foreground. Otherwise it would be pointless as the scripts would be
> running AS pppd dies --- pppd must die after run-parts has successfully
> completed all of its tasks.
> 	I will check on this, and for now write the config script to
> modify poff.

Nice idea.  :-)  The current mlddc package does nothing like this, i.e., the
user has to add mlddc to ip-up (and perhaps ip-down?  Nah, too late)
manually.  Maybe you could discuss with John to see if you could improve the
package?  :-)

Welcome to Debian!  :-)

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling        Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca     University of Alberta, Canada