Re: Intent to package moxa radius

> In article <[🔎] 199804201143.HAA16854@hmm.nowhere> igor wrote:
 >a new license yet, but here it is:
> >
> >/* =====================================================================
> > * Copyright (c) 1998 Moxa Technologies Corp, LTD.  All rights reserved.
> [...]
> > * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
> > *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
> > *    "This product includes software developed by the Moxa Technologies
> > *    Corp, LTD. for use in the Moxa RADIUS Server (http://www.moxa.com/)."
>
> Urk!  It's the Obnoxious BSD Advertising Clause, back to haunt us.
>
> Including the OBSDAC would make Moxa non-free.  Please educate them
> about that, too, and suggest they use an XFree86-like licence rather
> than this BSD-like one.

I don't understand.  We haven't declared all BSD software non-free yet, have
we?  How come moxa doesn't fit the bill.  It has the exact same clause.  I
seem to remember a long discussion on -devel, but didn't we conclude that this
BSD clause doesn't make software non-free?

Anyway, could you explain to me how this advertising clause is so harmful?

Thanks.

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com