autoconf problem

Hello,

when building the packages I want to maintain I need to define
some PATH-variables for pixmaps and libraries.

What would be the appropriate way to do that?

In the case of xteddy, I have to tell xteddy, where to look for
the pixmaps (my version can load not only xteddy but any pixmap
which is given in some strict rules).

I tried autoconf.  My configure.in contains the lines
    AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED(PIXMAP_PATH, "${prefix}/include/X11/pixmaps")
This should produce in the resulting Makefile

    DEFS = -DPIXMAP_PATH=\"${prefix}/include/X11/pixmaps\" \

but if configure is invoked without any arguments

    DEFS = -DPIXMAP_PATH=\"NONE/include/X11/pixmaps\"

and if a prefix was given (configure --prefix=/usr)

    DEFS = -DPIXMAP_PATH=\"/usr/include/X11/pixmaps\"

Is there another way to tell programs where to look for pixmaps
or libraries.  Is there a library which handles such problems
(I want to do the following: at first search the files in "." than
in the path defined by PIXMAP_PATH, may be it is reasonable to
use an environment variable for further searchpath.  This is a
common problem in my opinion so that there might be some ready
to use functions in a library.)

Regards

       Andreas