Re: /tmp exploits

I think you are missing th epoin there somewhat.
I belive the original intent was NOT to modify libc so that
 /tmp exploits are impossible as a be-all and end-all solution
The idea was to modify libc so that anything which used /tmp
in blatantly unsafe ways
(I subscribe to BUGTRAQ and I have noticed allot of recent
exploits and things involvce /tmp)
The reason behind doing this is so that thos programs
which use /tmp unsafely break automatically...
That way they can be fixed
As it is now...dozens of programs you use every day without
thinking (or maybe just the few you seldom use)
could use /tmp unsafely without ever being noticed unless
you watch fo rit.
Making wrappers to allow programs to work and setting weird flags is only
a small solution
if you fix the program itself, then you have a larger one
(ie. what about filesystems that don't support chattr +X?)
and the fix can be sent around to the rest of the community
(outside of Debian) and close security holes before they
are even known to be exploitable
ok..maybe all of that wasn't the original intent of the
idea...but that would be the effect
personally I prefer that idea to making kernel patches
or changeing the nature of /tmp itself
of course...
I personally agree with what some others said...
this "Hacked" libc (or whatever is used) should not
make it into a production releace...
IMHO it should only be used to identify and fix problems
it shouldn't be "standard" for normal users to use
- -Steve