Boot Disks and Adaptec 2940

Hello!

I recently crashed the root partition of a hamm station. Fixing it, I
installed several packages, also kernel-image package.

The system was not able to boot anymore. Trying to come into the system, I
tried Debian 1.3 boot disks and some newer disks (20-2, 20-3?). All disks
hang after detecting Adaptec aic7xxx scsi devices, with or without
aic7xxx=no_reset.

I don't remember how I was able to boot from CD and install hamm (had
problems then, but I was able to do it), but obviously the disks are/were
not working with the current system (we installed a few more cards and a
SCSI CDROM Writer after installing Linux).

The system is a SCSI only, two 4GB disks, one CD ROM reader and one CD ROM
writer. Adaptec 2940 AU controller.

Well, the solution was to compile a new kernel on a different system to be
able to boot in the system.

As Adaptec Cards are common in Germany, this should be fixed (if at all
possible).

I can try fresh boot disks, but not before thursday.

Thank you,
Marcus