Re: deb + tar + bzip2 suggestion

In article <[🔎] rbn2djmf4n.fsf@fphp16.tphys.physik.uni-tuebingen.de> you wrote:

:> Debian tar has a patch which hands off files to bzip2 if the -I option is
:> passed to it.

: Why wasn't the -z option expanded to recognize the bzip2 signature?
: That would seem to be a better solution to me.

Because the options are used both on compress and decompress, and it's not
obvious how to pick a compression engine on the compression side.  It's also
not clear that changing an existing option's definition without the upstream
maintainer's involvement is a good idea.

Bdale