Re: deb + tar + bzip2 suggestion

> I think it would be a good idea to teach tar to unpack bzip2 files via
> the -z option, just as if it would be gzip. Alternativly one could
> teach gzip to use bzip2 for .bz2 archives or teach dpkg to distinguish
> between the two.
>
> The main advantage would be that one could use tar.bz2 for deb
> packages without altering dpkg and thereby save a lot of space.
>
> Whats the general opinion about this and is maybe somebody already
> working on it?

I think, you could save some space, but the installation time of Debian
would increase dramaticly. I wouldn't like to see this. While it would be
a big plus for ftp users, it would be a big minus for CD users.

BTW: tar can handle bz2 files. you can use --use-compress-program=bzip2.

Greets, Stephan

--
Stephan Kulow (coolo@kde.org)
Student of medical CS