Re: Dumping core: root vs. normal user

> My educated guess on this is that there could be sensitive data in the
> root core dump.  I remember this was true on some unix I've worked on in

That's often true if the program is *setuid* (or setgid) [to anything,
not just root] - most, perhaps all unices will fail to dump core in
that case.  Just running as root does not cause this behaviour; limit
and the permissions on the working directory (is it over NFS, where
root can't write?) or any existing file [or directory] named core are
the first things to look for...