Re: Colored Shell

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Pat Quick wrote:

> I have had Linux on my machine before (Slackware) and had a shell that
> had different colors assigned by file type.  It was pretty nice.  I
> cannot find the shell that does this in the newest version of Debian.
> Any suggestions.  Help on changing shells at login would be appreciated
> as well (I am a little rusty).

Before I answer the question, two request.  First, debian-user is the
correct list for these types of questions.  Second, try to hit enter every
75 characters or so since your mail program doesn't seem to do this for
you.  (I'm not flaming you, they are the kind of things you learn by trial
and error.)

To get the color ls, put:
  alias ls='ls --color=auto'
in your .bashrc and .bash_profile or in the /etc/profile.

To change your shell, use chsh.

HTH,
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Torvalds