Re: intent to package Netscape Communicator

> > Another thing to note...  Dpkg won't let you build part of a package or
> > assign different version numbers to different .deb files created from
> > the same source.  (At least, I've never been able to get it to do so.)
>
> Will this be nescessary?  The libc5 thing is only temporary, and I don't have
> to do it, since we are moving into the future, which is libc6.

It happens.  Suppose new a new v4 package is released or new v5 source.  If
you wanted to re-build, then you would also be forced to rebuild _all_
packages mentioned in the control file, including the installer packages.

I've got an outstanding bug report about this (I asked if the error could
be reduced to a warning).

> > Are you looking to be able to install multiple versions of netscape or
> > just one at a time?  I considered the former when I build the netscape4
> > package, but decided it was for more trouble than it was worth.
>
> I plan on being able to have navigator4 and communicator4, both static and
> motif, coexist.  I will have to test it with netscape3, however.

That makes things much more difficult, I found.

> > The ns-install is nice for the installer script, but not so good for building
> > packages since you don't know where it stores the debian/tmp/... paths in
> > its files.
>
> The ns-install script doesn't store any paths in any files.  They are probably
> already stored in the .nif files by netscape.  I will most likely be getting
> around the problem with symlinks.  Anyone see any problems with that?

What symlinks do you mean?

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )