Re: dictd and wordnet

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Bob Hilliard wrote:

>      I had been thinking about taking over the wordnet packages, but you
> got there first, and I won't argue about it.  If you change your mind
> about them, let me know.
I'm in the process of becomming a Debian maintainer.  Unfortunately this
process isn't finished since two weeks (may be it is delayed because of
the efforts in the upcomming hamm release).  I would like to maintain
wordnet than.  But may be I would need your help because it is my first
serious package (I don't consider xteddy to be serious but only for the
sake of learning maintaining a package).

>      We must coordinate the location and name of the WordNet database
> file(s).  The dictd program installs them in /usr/lib/dict/wn.dict.dz
> and /usr/lib/dict/wn.index.  I doubt if that will conflict with the
> WordNet names and locations.  I plan to name the package containing
> the WordNet database "dict-wn", so there shouldn't be any further
> namespace conflicts.
I will have this in mind.  Would you think that /usr/lib/dict is an
appropriate directory for the Wordnet database (the filenames didn't
conflict!).

It is the first time that I have a deeper look at wordnet (this means
I used it about one year but never looked at it in detail).  So if
you have some experiences at if you expect serious trouble for a
beginner (not in C programming but in dictionary software) please
let me know.  In this case we should talk about the "better" maintainer.

Kind regards

            Andreas.