Re: What exactly belongs in frozen?

On Fri, Apr 10, 1998 at 12:41:50PM -0400, Daniel Martin at cush wrote:
> I had originally posted this to debian-private, but in the interest of
> getting more feedback (and timely feedback, since if this is going
> into frozen it needs to go *soon*) I'm re-posting it here.  (It
> probably belongs here anyway, as it's not really a closed
> maintainers-only issue, but more of a "how debian works" issue).

debian-devel@lists.debian.org is the appropriate place for it (dunno
where we are right now).

> What exactly determines if a new version of a package should go into
> frozen or unstable?  All I've heard is "bug fixes in frozen;
> everything else in unstable".

Correct.  If your upload fixes bugs, recorded in the bugtracking
system, lintian bugs, or upstream bugs it may go into frozen _and_
unstable.  If it is just a new release it has to go into unstable
only.  And if it fixes only typos or very low priority bugs you
might decide that it goes only into unstable, too.

> I'm a new Debian maintainer and have just taken over fvwm95.  I have
> packaged up a new version but have not uploaded it because I can't
> decide if it's frozen or unstable:

That's decided as I recall.  Sorry for not answering earlier.

> The main change in this package was that a long-standing "feature" of
> the upstream source has been fixed (I actually had done this about a
> week before bug 20866 came in, but it's essentially the same code
> change) so that Read statements can be used sanely in the
> configuration files.  As a natural improvement, the configuration
> has now been made to resemble that of fvwm2 extremely closely. (with
> .hook files all over the place)
>
> Points for putting it into unstable:
>  * this package does the configuration of fvwm95 completely
>    differently from before; this may be considered a new feature.

Ouch, better put it into unstable - I think that's what you've done,
right?

Regards,

	Joey

 /                                     http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/ Install joe (Joey's Own Editor)     correct: Joe's Own Editor /