Re: Test Report (was: Re: boot-floppies_2.0.4 (source i386) uploaded)

Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> writes:
> > >        After running kbdconfig manually, basis layouot was okay, but I
> > >        couldn't enter german keys. I think this is because /etc/inputrc has
> > >        "set convert-meta off" commented out. I think it should be the
> > >        default.
>
> In fact that was the default for a few libreadline*.deb versions, because
> we wanted Debian to be latin1-compatible "out of the box", but Guy Maor
> (readline maintainer) changed it back because leaving it "on" broke "META-x"
> handling, and there were a few bug reports about that. (Guy also removed some
> definitions that made the Home, End and Delete keys work). I guess it's time
> (again) to discuss which should be the defaults. Perhaps asking the user at
> installation/upgrade time.

ick, this should be switched back, I immediately noticed this myself.

I don't understand the M-x detail, it doesn't do anything now either.
Perhaps alt_is_meta shouldn't be on in the kernel map; if we use ESC
prefixes for meta it should work without disturbing 8-bit-cleanliness.

greg