Re: sleep contains crypto stuff?

    Marcelo> On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:
    >> Apart from that, I thought that gcc and tools are intelligent
    >> enough to only link routines and libraries to executables if
    >> there are routines from them used.

    Marcelo> They are not. I pointed this out on debian-policy a while
    Marcelo> ago, but nobody seemed to care. :-(

If you think about it, you'll realise why they don't in the particular
case of dynamic libraries (for .a libs, they behaviour Martin desires
occurs automatically.)

If I'm using dynamic libs, the linker can't guarentee that I won't
go run-time searching for a symbol in a library mentioned on the
command line at link time.  Therefore, it has to include any
libraries I mention to resolve the potential worst-case.

The simple fix is to link to the libraries you need and *no* others.

--
Stephen
---