Bootfloppies 12 April

Just installed Debian on an old machine using these: no _absolute_ show
stoppers:

When loading modules:

iso-8059- is all that appears for the iso-8059-1 etc. modules

Partitioning disks:

Initially, I partititoned /dev/hda into /dev/hda1 (root) and /dev/hda2 (swap)
and mounted /dev/hdb as /usr This option was also carried through for /dev/hdc
meaning that I ended up with /root on /dev/hda1 and /usr on hdc.  Only by
remounting /dev/hdb could I get a different mount point /var (which is what
I wanted).

All else was comparatively smooth until I rebooted:

I was left with the dreaded LI prompt: I had to use the rescue disk,
make a bootdisk, use this to reboot into Debian and _then_ was able
to run liloconfig and lilo.

The initial lilo run asked me to install an mbr and make /dev/hda? bootable.

This is a nasty and could easily catch people out.

Hope this helps,

Andy

[Am posting this here, since most discussion of hamm upgrades are here
rather than debian-qa / debian-test]