Re: kernel-headers-2.0.32 vs. kernel-headers-2.0.33

Rev. Joseph Carter wrote:
> A question which comes to my curious mind...  is there a way a program
> running as root can ask the kernel things like "do you support modules and
> module versioning?" or is the above script which hung my machine without
> so much as an oops from 2.1.82 till 2.1.89 the only way an installer can
> check these things?  (it reads autoconf.h)

The preinst from the ftape-modules packages contains a few checks like that:

#!/bin/sh -e
if [ "$1" = "install" ]; then
    if [ `ps -ax | grep -v grep | grep -c kerneld` != 1 ] ; then
	cat <<EOF
kerneld isn't running. You must run a kernel with module support to
install this package.
EOF
	exit 1
    fi
    if [ `cat /proc/devices | grep -c "27 ft"` = 1 ] ; then
	cat <<EOF
You've got ftape compiled in your running kernel. Please compile a kernel with
disabled ftape support.
EOF
	exit 1
    fi
    if [ -e /lib/modules/2.0.30/misc/ftape.o ] ; then
	cat <<EOF
You've got a ftape module for your 2.0.30 kernel. Please compile a kernel
with disabled ftape support.
EOF

	exit 1
    fi