Re: Is this a bug in libc6?

Hi,
>>"Steve" == Steve Greenland <stevegr@master.debian.org> writes:

Steve> On 11-Apr-98, 02:26 (CDT), Manoj Srivastava
Steve> <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
>> So, the point is not whether they implemntation can do strange and
>> unexpected things; they can; but then they have to document it.
>>
>> BTW, in Debian, fclose says it returns an error, and does not
>> mention corrupting memory.  ERRORS EBADF The argument stream is not
>> an open stream.
>>
>> The fclose function may also fail and set errno for any of the
>> errors specified for the routines close(2) or fflush(3).

Steve> Oh, sure, that's an error it *may* report, *if* it detects
Steve> it. I don't see anything on the man page that would expect me
Steve> to believe that the implementation will detect all possible
Steve> invalid streams and report an error. I am also quite willing to
Steve> believe that the particular error we are discussing
Steve> (fclose(fp);fclose(fp)) will be detected.

	Fair enough. In which case this should be documented.

Steve> Unfortunately, that belief is not supported.

	Then this is a defect in the implementation.

	manoj
--
 There are two ways to improve on human factors in computing: Make the
 programmers less stupid and/or make the users less stupid.  Both are