dpkg memory usage

I was upgrading packages on my 64 meg system today ant noticed:

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT  LIB %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
24785 root      18   0 12680  12M   568 S       0  0.1 20.0   5:36 dpkg

Yes, that's almost 13 megs used by dpkg, and 20% of my RAM.

That also is 4 megs more than the TOTAL amount of RAM in some computers I
work with.

So...why must dpkg use almost as much memory as XFree86 itself, and MORE
than Netscape does at times?

Not only that, but it is hideously slow even on current computers.  My
suggestion: store the databases in a DBM format of some sort instead of
plain text.