Re: Is this a bug in libc6?

Hi,

Herbert> In article <[🔎] 8767khi4y3.fsf@tiamat.datasync.com> you wrote:
>> Definitions of terms

>> o Undefined Behaviour -- behaviour, upon the use of a nonportable
>> or erroneous program construct, of erroneous data, or of
>> inderminately valued objects, for which the standard imposes no
>> requirements. Permissible undefined behaviour ranges from ignoring
>> the situation completely with unpredictable results, to behaving
>> during translation or program execution in a documented manner
>> charecteristic of the environment (with or without the issuance of
>> a diagnostic message), to terminating a translation or execution
>> (with the issuance of a diagnostic
>> message). ______________________________________________________________________

>> Please show why my statement is incorrect wrt to the above
>> statement from the C standard. I said: "Corupting memory is not
>> acceptable behaviour! (Unless you document this)". The standard
>> says "permissible undefined behaviour ..."

Herbert> It also says that the standard imposes no requirements.

	Look at the whole sentence, please. There are indeed no
 requirements for the program to behave in any fashion; as long as the
 behavioue is documented (and is characteristic of the environment --
 monkeys flying out of the users nose is out); if it is not
 documented, you can ignore the construct, or terminate translation or
 execution (issueing a diagnostic is required then).

	I know fashionable, but incorrect, comments on comp.lang.c
 would have it otherwise.

	manoj

--
 "I can't face the world in the morning. I must have coffee before I
 can speak." Joseph Cotton in Shadow of a Doubt