in.ftpd refused to show directory

Hello,

yesterday I updated all my installed hamm files.  However, the following
error occured in former times, too.

If I login on my local the ftp server

        ftp://bridge.physik.uni-halle.de

I can't get any directory information via `dir` or `ls` command.
I can switch directories (`cd pub` for instance) and check the
currend directorie via `pwd` also get files via `get`.  But I
can't get any information about the directory contents.
By the way: Midnight Commander shows the same behaviour when
accessing this server via `cd ftp://bridge.physik.uni-halle.de`.
The window remains blank, but you can fairly switch directories
via cd.

I want to use only in.ftpd from

Package: netstd
Section: net
Installed-Size: 1299
Maintainer: Peter Tobias <tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de>
Version: 3.03-1
Depends: cpp, libc6, libreadlineg2 (>= 2.1-4), ncurses3.4
Pre-Depends: netbase (>= 3.00)
Suggests: wu-ftpd, dip, mail-transport-agent

because it is only 486/20MB box and a featureful server like wu-ftpd
isn't required.  I will temporarily switch to wu-ftpd, to get rid of
this boring error (hopefully this will work) but want to use the
smallest beast which would fit the need of getting some files.

Any hints?

Regards

         Andreas