does not support iso9660

I need some advice in installing Debian 1.3.
	I have booted the machine with a SCSI bus V30PCI using a rescue
floppy. The hard disk and a NEC cdrom were recognized without any problem.
	Then I followed all installation instructions.
	After I booted  Linux, I ran dselect but I got an error
during mounting a CD:
		mount -t iso9660 /dev/sda /cdrom
		Unable to identify a CD rom format.
	         mount : wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock in
/dev/sda or too many mounted files
	I tried to mount a CD during a boot time, and I got an error
message saying that a CD Rom file system is not supported by a kernel.
I have tried 2 different CDs to make sure that CDs I am using are not
damaged.
	So, how do I make it to recognize iso9660 if I have a bare
file system installed on Linux with nothing else ?

One thing I did not configure -- was a CD during an installation because
there was not any NEC CD ROM on a list, and I did not choose one presuming
that
it has been already recognized and necessary drivers installed. I did not
find any iso9660 option among file systems available during install.
	sincerely,
Olga Mill
omill@ewu.edu

Olga Mill
		^^^ * ^^^     omill@ewu.edu 	^^^ * ^^^

Eastern Washington University,  WA,  USA