Re: Why isn't /bin/sh managed with alternatives?

 Robert> On Sun, April 5, Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> wrote:
 >> My assumption is that /bin/sh is VERY important to the system.
 >> All server scripts use it.  A dangling symlink could be hazardous.
 >> Also, some systems initially mount only certain directories.  And
 >> /etc is sometimes on a different partition entirely.  /bin should
 >> stand on its own.

 Robert> *NO* dynamically linked binary (this includes /sbin/init and
 Robert> /bin/sh) will run without /etc/ld.so.cache:

This is untrue.  if no ld.so.cache file exists the dynamic linker will
default to manually searching /lib and /usr/lib (in fact it does this
if the ld.so.cache doesn't contain the library that is needed).

> strace ls
open("/etc/ld.so.preload", O_RDONLY)    = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/etc/ld.so.cache", O_RDONLY)      = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/lib/libc.so.6", O_RDONLY)        = 3

Dres
--
@James LewisMoss <dres@dimensional.com> |  Blessed Be!
@    http://www.dimensional.com/~dres   |  Linux is cool!