Re: DEC alpha

Kamel SEHIL wrote:

> hi people i want to know if an DEC ALPHA (beta or less) is avaible
> for now i install red-hat5 , but i'm an debian user's (free software)
> and red-hat is not really stable

Actually, yes, Debian has a stable port for the Alpha.  Right now, it's
still considered technically "unstable, but I've been running it and
working on porting software over to it for about a year now.

I've found that RedHat 5 has had alot of problems and am very happy with
Debian for the development work that I'm doing for the project.  Plus,
we've built on some of RedHat's patches for software, but made sure to
adapt only the patches we needed instead of applying glibc-1.99 snapshot
patches and working up from there (which I believe that they did when
doing the full glibc-2.0.x port).

If you have any further questions, feel free to email me personally or
bring it up on the debian-alpha list since there are many of us there
that can answer questions for you or offer assistance.  Also, I've
started a "status" page for the port for the Alpha.  I admit that it's
not terribly updated right now (just got back from vacation), but it
does have some installation help and such.
		http://beezer.med.miami.edu:8080/alpha

> thanks forthe answer

Anytime! :-)

Chris