Practical way to solve libstdc++ conflicts?

Greetings,

Background:
I have noticed that for example KDE stuff nowadays depends on
and uses libstdc++2.8. That is, the egcs version. And the egcs
version we are talking about is 1.0.2. Now, for a long time
already I've been using egcs snapshots later than 1.0.2 because
I've found them to be practically more usable (less problems,
more important-for-me-features(eg. more thread-safe)) than the
release versions. Of course, others may disagree, but that fact
remains that I will never come back to 1.0.2 for my own
compilations (or our team's development) which I usually install
to /usr/local where my egcs and its newer libstd++2.8 also
resides.

The problem:
"""
[quasar] kvt                                                  [~][14:58][azure]
kvt: error in loading shared libraries
: undefined symbol: __eh_pc
"""
What happens is that kvt tries to load my newer libstd++2.8
which isn't binary compatible with Debian's one. OTOH, I can't
run applications compiled with newer egcs using Debian's
libstd++2.8. Theoretically, I could always set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
before running some Debian application that uses libstd++2.8 or
vice versa, but that's not practical because the machine in
question is a server and it is also used by other less
experienced people and I can't lay this burden on them.

Is there any automated way to solve this problem? That is, could
I for example somehow force dynamic linker to always use
Debian's libstd++2.8 for binaries in
{/sbin,/bin,/usr/{X11R6,bin}} and my libstd++2.8 otherwise?

(btw, I could imagine doing some heavy shell-specific magic
(everyone here is using zsh), but I really would prefer some
eh.. cleaner choice :))

Thanks in advance!
--
Hannu Koivisto | What you see is all you get.
NOYB           |                            - Brian Kernighan