Re: [?] egcs increases C++ binary size dramatically

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> I just revisited my xpdf package to fix a minor packaging bug (#20407). As I
> also upgraded to debhelper, I compared the resulting .deb file to the
> previous one (derived from unchanged upstream sources) and noticed a dramatic
> increase in the size of the resulting binary.
>
> The old package had a binary of 272 kB
>
> 	-rwxr-xr-x root/root    272664 1998-03-02 19:33 usr/X11R6/bin/xpdf
>
> whereas the new one has over 100 kB more:
>
> 	-rwxr-xr-x root/root    375424 1998-04-06 21:55 usr/X11R6/bin/xpdf
>
> I did not change any configuration options. I compiled the older package with
> the latest GNU gcc/g++ 2.7.*, and the new one with egcc/eg++. xpdf makes
> quite heavy use of C++, but as it worked with GNU g++ for years, I think we
> can exclude templates, exceptions, ... And yes, the new one is stripped as
> well.
>
> Isn't the size increase a bit much ?  Comments ?

egcs has very high overhead for exceptions, each function must make sure
that it's locals get destructed properly even if it doesn't use
execeptions itself.

You can help this by disabling exception handling with the proper compiler
flag. APT's binaries all double in size with egcs unfortunately :<

Jason