Re: Immutable flag and packages

bear@coyotesong.com writes:

> I hate to ask a stupid question, but are you sure you aren't thinking
> about mounting an entire filesystem as "read-only", not just marking
> a single file (or collection of files) as "immutable" under the ext2
> extentions?

No, they're talking about marking files immutable and then changing
the "securelevel" (as reported by /proc/sys/kernel/securelevel) -
supposedly one can increase this if one is root, but not decrease it
(looking at the kernel source seems to support this, although it
appears that init can decrease securelevel too).  However, I can't
seem to adjust securelevel at all.  (up or down)  Is there something
one should tell init to have it adjust the securelevel?

If the securelevel is greater than zero, the immutable and append_only
flags can't be altered.