Re: Immutable flag and packages

   1. "installation" should set the immutable flag for any
      binary files and possiibly some configuration files.
      Likewise, removing or updating a package will need to
      clear that flag.

      Obviously, this requires a FS with an immutable flag.
      Since most Linux systems use ext2, this shouldn't be
      a problem.  Meanwhile it would make it much harder
      for accidential corruption of the core files.

I don't see this as a good idea, myself.  If the superuser wants to
modify/remove a file, why should we stand in his way?  It would be
extremely annoying to have to remove the immutable attribute every
time I wanted to make a change somewhere in the filesystem.  There
needs to be a certain fundamental level of trust between the OS and
the system administrator.

That said, this could be useful as an option.  But we should not make
it mandatory or even the default, I think.