Re: META: Can we please restrict the list?

On Fri, Apr 03, 1998 at 09:43:37AM +0200, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> How about changing the automatic response, in the case of the aol domain,
> to ask the subscriber to send a message saying why he wants to be on the
> list.  This should not contain any reference to the web-site, so that someone
> who is trawling lists will not know what the mailing list is about.  It
> should say something like:
>
>     "You have asked to be subscribed to the debian-xxx mailing list.
>      This list has been troubled with spam messages from users in your
>      domain, and so we are asking you to explain why you want to be
>      subscribed to this list.
>
>      If you respond to this message and are accepted as a subscriber,
>      you must undertake not to post any messages unrelated to the
>      mailing list's purpose.  Please indicate in your response that
>      you agree to this."

We had such an automatic mechanism 1-2 years ago and it was a real pain
for many people.  Poeple like me who use several different addresses
and write a lot of mail.  As long as spam is restricted to ~5 mails
per day - that's what we have atm, I believe that our actual policy
isn't to unrestrictive.

Regards,

	Joey

 /                                     http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/  Never trust an operating system you don't have source for!   /