Re: Problems with equivs

On 5 Apr 1998, Darren/Torin/Who Ever... wrote:

> But apt-get update gives me the following:
> Updating package file cache...done
> Updating package status cache...done
> Checking system integrity...dependency error
> Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
> dependencies:
>   libc6-dev: Depends:kernel-headers-2.0.32
>   lilo: Depends:mbr
> {-}[100]/var/lib/dpkg kitchen#
>
> Now, I don't want to install mbr since I want lilo to manage my
> boot-records.  I have no reason to use another bm.  I also have
> kernel-headers-2.0.33 installed and don't need kernel-headers-2.0.32.
> So, how do I use equivs to convince apt-get update that things really
> are fine...

Equivs can not work here because their are versions involved and versioned
dependancies can never match a versioned provides.

I'm not sure why you don't want to install mbr, all it is an image of the
boot record that lilo uses to generate it's boot record from, with out
/boot/mbr.b lilo will not work in some of it's capacities. If you don't
have /boot/mbr.b and lilo works then there is no harm in having it. If you
have a custom /boot/mbr.b then I suggest you rename it and use the proper
lilo option to use the renamed version.

As for libc6-dev - there is a REASON why it needs .32 and only .32 will do
an it has been dredged up many times on this list, forcing .33 is not
safe.

There presently is no way to tell APT to ignore these, aside from editing
the status file and changing the dependancies. If you want to use it, you
will have to install those two packages.

Jason