Re: Questions about plans for Emacs 20 and internationalization.

From: Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>
Subject: Questions about plans for Emacs 20 and internationalization.
Date: 05 Apr 1998 11:23:14 -0500

> Several of the outstanding emacs20 bugs have to do with missing
> international input methods.  I know that I can add them by just
> downloading the leim package from GNU, untarring it in place, and
> rebuilding, but I had a few questions:
>
>   1) Do we have a way to handle multiple upstream tar-files for one
>      package yet?

I think not yet.

>   2) Should I have two separate emacs20 binary packages like xemacs?
>      What are the advantages over just one "full-blown" binary?

Emacs20 input methods are written in e-lisp, so no separate emacs20
binaries are needed. It's enough to have emacs20-leim package.
(and it may be suggested by emacs20?)

>   3) There are 3 xemacs20 binary packages.  Why?  (I just want to know
>      so I can see if I need to do the same).

Because XEmacs20s are build in different compile option.
 xemacs20-nomule		no Mule extension
 xemacs20-mule			with Mule extension
 xemacs20-mule-canna-wnn	with Mule extension and linked with
				canna/wnn

On the other hand, emacs20 doesn't have such compile option,
(always compile with Mule extension and can not link with canna/wnn yet)
so you don't need to build multiple emacs20 binary, I think.

--
Fumitoshi UKAI / Debian JP Project