Re: APT broken ?

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > > How do you mark a package as "outside the scope of APT"?
> >
> > There is not a way presently. That might be a good solution to the problem
> > with desired unmet dependancies... Will think about it.

> What happened to Hold, from dselect? Isn't APT satisfying such
> compatibility issues?

APT interprits hold exactly as hold means, do not install a new version of
this package [and it only does that on upgrade or dselect-upgrade
commands].

Hold does not mean that the package's broken dependancies are okay, and it
probably never should mean that.

> I would suggest that packages marked "on hold" should be considered to
> satisfy any dependencies on them. This would provide a mechanism for

On them?? I think that is a serious abuse of what hold means. Their own
dependancies I could relucantly accept, but not dependancies on them.

My current feeling is to make a flag that completely removes a package
from APT's view of the system, as far as APT is concerned it does not
exist [and all dependancies on it will fail]. That is probably the best
solution to the orignal problem.

What you are talking about is something completely different and might be
handled by another flag - I would have to consider that some more -
it would certainly be a very dangerous flag to use.

Hold is certianly not the correct thing for either sitatuation.

Jason