Re: APT broken ?

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 03, 1998 at 11:39:08PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > I have actually never seen a normal system that has a perfect dependancy
> > setup when I first bring APT onto it, I fix it and I never see the errors
> > again - I wonder how much subtle breakage has happened on these machines..
>
> What's a perfect dependency setup? "dpkg --configure --pending"
> does nothing on any of my machines -- what else do I have to do to
> qualify?

I know of no way to check it with dpkg. Install apt and run apt-get update
- if it says you are clean then you are clean.

Alot of common things are old packages depending on elf-xlib which is no
longer provided, libreadline-dev is also almost always broken, same with
libc6-doc and so on - things with exact dependancies tend to fall through
the cracks with dpkg.

Jason