Re: APT broken ?

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, G John Lapeyre wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, G John Lapeyre wrote:
> > > Then 'apt-get install foo' , just reminds me of all my broken packages.
> > > 	Who is wrong , me or apt ?
> >
> > You. You must correct the problems it lists before it will do anything.
>
> 	With  dpkg ?  apt-get won't even let me install a package that
> would fix one of the dependency problems .

Yes with dpkg.

As it is now the algorithms apt-get uses to process what you are asking of
it are not sophisticated enough to deal with broken packages before hand,
so it simply requires that the system start out in a good state.

The APT gui has no such requirements because you can always hand tune your
selection so no packages are broken. Someday I might write a fix routine
that goes and tries to fix the broken packages and then make an option to
front-end that to install/upgrade/etc.

Jason