Re: Constitution - formal proposal (v0.5.1)

On 3 Apr 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> >From the proposed constitution (v0.5):
>
>  9. Software in the Public Interest
>
>    SPI and Debian are separate organisations who share some goals. Debian
>    is grateful for the legal support framework offered by SPI. Debian's
>                                                                ^^^^^^^^
>    developers are currently members of SPI by virtue of their status as
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    developers.
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Is SPI a membership organization?  If not, the last sentence above makes no
> sense.  If so, how can Debian decide who gets to be a member?  I think that
> sentence should be deleted.  If it is desired that Debian developers be SPI
> members a statement to that effect belongs in SPI's bylaws, not in Debian's
> constitution.

I'm not sure that members is the best term, but it works for me.

Debian, as an organization, is associated with SPI in the same way that
SPI expects to associate with other Free Software projects (was Berlin
accepted or rejected...I can't remember). If SPI took GNOME under its
wing, those developers would become member of SPI, but not Debian. That
is, SPI chooses who it will sponsor, while the organizations that it
sponsors is responsible for determining its own membership. By sponsoring
an organization SPI offers that organization's members, equal status
withing the SPI organization (whatever that means ;-)

Waiting is,

Dwarf