Re: Constitution - formal proposal (v0.5)

On 3 Apr 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> Dale Scheetz writes:
> > Which implies that the PL can fire a Delegate, if that delegate makes a
> > decision that the PL disagrees with! It was my understanding that a
> > Delegate was not supposed to have to deal with the wims of the PL. Like I
> > said...can of worms.
>
> I think that an inevitable consequence of the delegate system is that the
> delegates serve at the pleasure of the Leader.  Think of them as cabinet
> members.

Then I am no longer a delegate. You have reduced me to the PL's slave,
which is not what the word "delegate" means.

Whe the project leader delegates a task to another member of the project
and that member accepts the position, that position must have the
authority to execute within its area or the delegate is always going to be
unable to do their job. The PL can not be allowed to jerk that authority
away arbitrarily or the authority thus granted has no power of
enforcement.

One of the things that this document fails to mention anywhere is the fact
that we all work together in a "trusting" relationship. Just think back to
any of the past "times of trouble", and you will find that they all came
from a failure of trust.

The Project Leader relies on that trusting relationship when he/she(it?)
delegates their authority and responsibility to another member.
When that trust becomes erroded, or collapses, the constitution should
protect the membership from any ensuing power struggle, by making it
difficult or impossible for one to evolve. This can only be done by making
the removal of a delegate contingent on more than the PL's desires.

Some form of third party arbitration would be nice, but barring that, the
membership should be required to agree with the PL when dismissal of
delegates becomes an issue.

Waiting is,

Dwarf