Re: Unattended package install.

On 03-Apr-1998, Martin Schulze <joey@kuolema.Infodrom.North.DE> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 02, 1998 at 09:22:04PM -0600, Henry Hollenberg wrote:
>
> > I'm writing a script to install several packages using "dpkg -i" on
> > several machines and I'd like to set this up where it can be performed
> > unattended.
> >
> > Some of the packages ask some questions during their installation
> > and I was wondering if there was some way I could pass them the answers
> > I'd like to use so they can go on and do their thing without any
> > further care and feeding.....the answeres will be the same every time for
> > this purpose.
>
> As far as I remember there were several approaches:
>
>  . make all read routines a wrapper that looks up the answer in
>    a database.
>
>    Pro: The administrator could pre-specify the answers in this
>         database ensuring that other machines get the proper setup
>
>    Con: One needs to maintain such a database, autogenerate or
>         whatelse

I think this is the best approach, but would require writing a new
package that handles this database.  The benefit of such an approach
is that if the database is setup nicely, you can use the answers to
*someone else's questions* to help answer your own questions, or to
provide intelligent defaults.

For example, several packages can be configured differently depending
on whether the machine is 24/7 or intermittently on, and whether the
internet connection is 24/7 or dialup ppp, or demand dial, etc.

It's a fair bit of work though, and there will likely be problems,
but even just for the unattended install, it would be very useful.

--
       yson Dowd           # So I asked Sarah: what's the serial number on
                            # your computer? She replied: