Re: Constitution - formal proposal (v0.5)

On 2 Apr 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Shaleh" == Shaleh  <shaleh@livenet.net> writes:
>
> Shaleh> I see no point in allowing one to change their vote.  Voting
> Shaleh> is very important -- think before you act.  If this means
> Shaleh> waiting a week or so do it.  We have seen way to often here
> Shaleh> that people often rifle off e-mails before they think.  We
> Shaleh> should not patronize this behaviour. I can think of no other
> Shaleh> voting forum where votes are allowed to be recast without a
> Shaleh> complete re-vote.
>
> 	Changing ones vote is not always a indication of unreasoning
>  haste. Changing circumstances, of a new argument, or additional data
>  may well be a reason to change ones stance.
>
>  Sun Tzu "A wise general has no discernible form, but flows like
>  water, adapting to the situation at hand, and shall always win
>  against an inflexible opponent."
>
> 	I think allowing people to change their minds is really
>  important.

While allowing folks to change their minds is a good thing, it's not the
same thing as changing your vote.

If we allow a vote to be changed any time before the deadline, then the
clause about the "outcome of the vote" being "no longer in question"
becomes a statement without content.

If you can change your vote (if anyone can change their vote) then the
outcome is never certain until the deadline for casting votes has passed.

If you're not sure, don't vote until the last minute. When you are
certain, vote. You can always change your mind later and feel bad about it
if you want.

> 	manoj
>
> --
>  "Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love."
>  Albert Einstein

Unless it was the result of an actual fall. (I'm reminded of a line in
"The Last Boyscout" to the effect that "Oh! You just tripped and fell on
my wife...")

Luck,

Dwarf