Re: Starting X programs

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:

> > > (I don't use spider myself, though)
> > > Have you looked for the menu file of 'spider'? How does it start the
> > > program?
> >
> > This is not specific to spider. It also occurs with any other program I
> > have tried
>
> Are all these programs using X?

Yep. It's the only place they show up.

> > > Another possibility:
> > > It looks like something is wrong with your xauth. Try 'xhost +' as a
> > > temporary workaround. Maybe menu connects to the correct host by itself?
> >
> > I'm not familiar with either of these.
> [...]
> > This is still very strange. The logged in user has permissions that root
> > does not? Or is it the fact that the logged in user is the owner of the
> > display and root is not?
>
> Exactly. I guess, you su 'ed to root inside an x-term?
>
> Try
>
>  export XAUTHORITY=$HomeOfYourUser/.xauthority
>
> (please check the spelling with man xauth, I can't do it at the moment).

export XAUTHORITY=/home/user/.Xauthority

works! Can you explain why? It appears that the user is the only thing
mentioned in the .Xauthority file (althought there are unreadable binary
portions of this file) so why does this work? (or not work, as the case
may be)

Thanks for all the info,

Dwarf
--