Re: Time sync

gsstark@mit.edu (Gregory S. Stark) writes:
> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
> > 	You should look at xntp3. I keep my box happily in sync
> >  (despite being a demand dialed ppp machine) using it. Look at the
> >  last 45 minutes of activity on my machine.

> On this poor machine with only 16M of memory and only an intermittent ppp
> connection I just run rdate or netdate when I connect.
>
> We could have netstd or ppp install a script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d that called
> rdate or netdate. Possibly it could even check if xntpd was running first.
> That would probably work pretty well.

I like this idea.  Manoj, what was the consensus we reached on
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d directories for hamm?  Leave them there but not on by
default, right?  Provide example scripts in /usr/doc/<package> and
point the user to it if they want it in README.Debian.

[History: I got in hot water with Manoj and others on private because
a shipped a slew of wishlist bugs against net packages that they might
install scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/<pkg>.  I agree with the principle
that no package should hook itself into the PPP-up state change
without the user's knowledge and consent, yet I felt that, while there
were limits to the userfulness of the ip-{up,down}.d situation, it was
a nice little trick for hamm, and should not be added upon until we
have a better, consenually agree-upon method to replace it.  One which
dealt with different ISPs, maybe had some centralized config method,
etc.  Oh, I think Adam Heath is working on this latter problem.]