Re: non-free software

On Mar 31, Bob Hilliard decided to present us with:

> [...] I did
> not propose including non-free on the Official CD; I tossed that out
> as one possible way to correct this.  Undoubtedly there are other and
> better ways of encouraging the inclusion of parts of non-free on CDs.
>
>      A less controversial approach would be to post a prominent notice
> at the location where the "Official CD" image is obtained, suggesting
> that manufacturer's review the non-free area, and determine which
> packages they could include without determining unacceptable
> liability risks.

I believe that for hamm, the binary CD will be almost full. So
people who want to sell non-free would have to put it on another
disk? If this is true, the best approach would be just have a
note encouraging this; also, having non-free in a separate CD
would make it very clear for users that whatever is in there is
not officially part of Debian. Also, maybe manufacturers could
be encouraged to put experimental in this "additional CD" too?

[]s,
                                               +----
--
   Howling to the moonlight on a hot summer night...
                 pgp key in the web page

Free Software Union       --       http://www.fslu.org