Re: Menu & autocollapsing of submenus

Well if this is a 'wish list' then I would also suggest that either when
building the menu or when the user is configuring the menu that the
automagically configured submenus could have their names changed by the
user and the items moved between the new submenus.

Boy this rapidly gets complicated!

Also, the menu could have predefined submenu labels with priorities
based upon the existing (in the distribution) packages that might be
installed.

A submenu them might be invoked if more than $x (ie: 12) items exist in
that menu choice but the submenu(s) added would be selected based upon
having $y (ie: 4) or more choices of that catagory.

I think that the biggest problem with this idea is to figure out how to
create menu catagories that make sense as well as a means for a
developer to choose an appropriate submenu for a package.

Looking at what is on my system right now, the 'apps/tools' submenu is a
disaster, what in the world are 'tkinfo' and 'tkman' doing in
'apps/viewers' while 'Debian Online Help' is in 'apps/tools'?
Shouldn't things like 'ispell' and 'wordnet' be in (or in a submenu of)
'apps/editors'?

I don't often use the menus either (seems like a common mantra) but I
almost would not dream of using the 'apps/tools' menu just because it is
(on my system) a disorganized mess that practically goes off the bottom
of the display.

--
best,
-bill