Re: ppp and new users (was: Re: Tecnology and marketing)

On 28 Mar 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> I wrote:
> > How do you tell bind to use different forwarders when the user dials
> > up a different isp?
>
> craig sanders writes:
> > you don't.  that's the user's job. auto-mangling config files is EVIL!!!
> > i just thought of something else. as well as the DIR file, could also
> > have a SCRIPT file which is a shell script allowing the user to do any
> > other customisation. even better, have PREDIAL.sh (to be run before
> > dialing) and POSTDIAL.sh (to be run after dialing).
>
> I don't understand.  You seem to be contradicting yourself here.

no, i'm not contradicting myself at all.

overwriting config files automatically is evil.

providing a mechanism which allows the user to specify a set of config
files which are swapped in and out of 'active' use is good.  think of them
as user-definable config 'profiles'.  profile 1 is used for ISP #1,
profile 2 is used for ISP #2, and so on.

craig

--
craig sanders